The Liebster Award!
1. We must post 11 random things about ourselves.
2. We must answer the questions the nominator set for us.
3. We must create 11 questions for the people we nominate.
4. We must choose 5-10 blogs that we love ( with less than 200 followers) and link them to this post and let them know they were nominated.
5. No tag backs.
Many thanks to the lovely, Mindy Hoggan over at Rodeo Tales & Gypsy Trails for the nomination. She is the most gracious and supportive blog friend, check out all the fun she has going at Lil’ Red Roan, too! I’ve had a really difficult time responding to this friendly award, I don’t know why. It has taken me a week of reflection and procrastination to come up with the following list.
11 Random Things About Me
- I drink a lot of black coffee, hot and cold.
- I am a geek (I’m always the one who has read the book, before the movie).
- I used to have a plan for my life, involving advanced degrees and a career. I wouldn’t change a moment of the last ten years to achieve that.
- I am the oldest and only girl in my family, I have four unique, fun younger brothers. I love them.
- I admire horsemen, people who take the time to observe and understand and communicate with another species, to achieve a good relationship with an animal much less people takes time and commitment.
- I admire those, who pursue self-improvement and skill development purely for their own satisfaction rather than monetary gain.
- We recently saw a skunk exiting the outhouse at the barn, it totally validated my fear of outhouses.
- My friend, Brooke, catered a wedding in December, I went along as her assistant. I may have forgot to put eggs in several layers of the wedding cake I was mixing. This is my confession.
- Green is my favorite color.
- I have five pairs of cowboy boots, three for riding and two for town. I don’t think I have enough.
- I didn’t start taking roping seriously until I was in my twenties, I am not a confidant roper.
Mindy’s Liebster Questions, answered by me, Rachel.
- How did you get started blogging? I enjoy reading and writing, studying the play of words, and crafting with them. When we moved to Idaho two-years-ago, I was having a difficult time adjusting to the move. We lost my baby brother that Fall and I couldn’t help feeling like I was abandoning my family in the midst of this hard time. When I was sufficiently out of the dark, I began blogging. My early blogs felt like love letters to my family and helped me cope with the transition.
- What is your most read post? Undoubtedly, 25 Things I Want My Ranch Kids to Know. It has made the rounds on Facebook and approached viral status several times in the past year. It has been an amazing experience.
- Favorite hobby or past time? Aside from reading and cow horses, I enjoy knitting and drawing. There is innate self-respect in the act of creating.
- Song that makes your heart happy? Ryan Bingham’s Southside of Heaven, his music speaks to my heart. It may be the gravel of his voice.
- Favorite pizza toppings? If I’m not eating with my meat-and-potatoes family, I love pesto and almond slices on my pizza.
- What makes your heart skip-a-beat or pitter patter? Watching my husband with his children never fails to make my heart swoon, particularly when he is able to share the his love of horses and cowboying with them.
- Do you like to play in the snow? YES! One of my biggest complaints about our current home is the lack of snow and good sledding conditions.
- Favorite rodeo event? Saddle Bronc is the only one I enjoy watching.
- Favorite read? Oooh, this is a tough one. I love such a variety of writing. If I were forced to choose just one, I’d say Barbara Kingsolver’s The Poisonwood Bible. It is heartbreaking, beautiful, and funny.
- One thing you are thankful for: My family near and far, they are a grounding force in my life.
My nominees! I realize several folks below have been nominated by other folks recently or might have more followers than specified, but that doesn’t mean I love them any less.
Brett L Erickson Photography-In addition to stunning composition, Brett Erickson’s photographs convey a strong sense of place, honesty, and love.
WestEastern-Jessy Mclavey’s authentic and touching posts inspire me to greater productivity.
Tail of Two Corgis-Who doesn’t like to see corgi pictures and hear cute corgi stories?
Roses & Sagebrush-Sandy is a neighbor with a fun new blog and I’m looking forward to hearing more from her and her sister-in-law.
Write Some WhatNot- These gals are talented teachers and writers, I enjoy mulling over their reviews and challenging my pea-brain.
Rocky Springs Rambles-I look forward to Mandy’s humorous and enlightening posts about station life in rural Australia and you should to.
My Questions for the Nominees (with help from my question guy):
- What do you hope your legacy will be?
- What is your favorite hobby or pastime?
- Where or what do you consider home?
- Do you place importance upon selecting the right name for your pets?
- What is your idea of an ideal celebration?
- If money and time were no object, where would you travel and why?
- What is your favorite breed of dog?
- What song makes your heart happy?
- What is your favorite book?
- If you cook, what is your signature dish? If not, what is your favorite dish?
- Name one thing you are thankful for.